Monday, April 27, 2015

My Weight loss Tip #1

When I was losing my weight one of the biggest challenges was finding a variety of foods that I enjoyed and were also healthy. It's really hard to branch out into uncharted territory and change is difficult to say the least. And when you're a person who is used to eating in an unhealthy manner for years (like myself) thinking outside the box food wise was a big challenge. It wasn't like I could just all of a sudden stop eating the way I was and dive head first into fruits and vegetables and expect to be satisfied and successful. It doesn't work that way. This polarizing view of weight loss is what kept me overweight for so long. It's not about deprivation or sacrifice. There is no "wagon" that I can realistically be on or off of. It's about finding a balance between what you do enjoy and what is also good for you.

This took some time and experience which was a challenge (but I enjoy a good challenge). I was determined to find a variety of foods that I could "go to" and were in line with my goals. And then made a point to stock them in my house. This mentality took time to cultivate and I'm still learning and adding all the time. But the principle remains the same. Having a good variety of options readily available in your home is 90% of the battle. And same goes for what is NOT a good choice ... keep those OUT of the house! We're only as strong as our options.

With that being said I have many many favorites that over the years have become staples. I make it a priority to plan, shop, and prepare what I'm going to eat each week. Might seem labor intensive, but it was the complete opposite of what I was doing ... which was eating out, grabbing what ever was there, and helplessly unhappily 60lbs overweight. I'm still convinced the only way to achieve and maintain success in weight loss is to make it your#1 priority.

So ... with that being said, here is one of my favorite "go to" recipes that is so versatile it can be incorporated into a variety of meals. I'll share others as I go along too.

The Players:

Pico de Gallo
1 red, green, orange and yellow bell pepper
3 tomatoes 
1/4 red onion (diced)
1 cup white corn 
2 cloves garlic (I like the frozen kind seen above)
1 lime
Cilantro 
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)

In a large bowl, add seeded and diced peppers and tomatoes. Add chopped onion, garlic, corn, salt, red pepper, and cilantro. Fresh cilantro is great, but often times I just use the squeezable kind seen above. Squeeze the juice of one lime over mixture and store in a container in your fridge. Leave out the spice (or add more) depending on your tastes.  

It should look like this:

Use it in SO many ways. Mix into your scrambled eggs. Use it over grilled chicken, mix it with steamed quinoa or brown rice, top chicken salad or lean deli turkey (in a wrap). I've tossed it with whole wheat pasta and olive oil too. It's loaded with "good stuff" and is seriously delicious. I make a point of taking the time to prepare this every week. And the contents are always on my grocery list.  It's worth the effort. Anything resulting in a more successful healthy balanced life is worth the effort. Stop thinking in terms of what you can't have, instead shift to what you can have. This mind shift if one of many tips I have for losing and keeping off weight. More to come. 

Bonus recipe: Crock Pot shredded taco chicken 

The Players:

1 or 2 frozen (or thawed) chicken breasts
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 small jar of salsa (or about 1 cup)

Put all ingredients into a crock pot. Put on low and cook for 6 hours (if frozen chicken) or 4 hours if thawed. Shred with two forks when complete. 

Here's what it looks like:

Serve in taco shells (with all the fixings), over a fresh green salad, in quesadillas, mixed with quinoa or brown rice (and topped with pico recipe above) ... the options are endless!


It is these kinds of recipes that set you up for success. They are versatile and offer the variety necessary to keep your menu choices interesting. I hope that if you are trying to lose or maintain weight with healthy lifestyle choices, this tip (and recipes) speaks to you. It really is one day (or meal) at time and making a commitment to yourself that you can do anything you set your mind to. 

Thanks again for stopping by and here's to another day closer to a life in balance ...
xo
Sloane


1 comment: