Wednesday, April 29, 2015

4 Questions to Ask Your Kids Every Day

"How was your day?" "Good." Does this sound familiar? Well, in our house that's the protocol after school. Unless I can tell by obvious signs something "went down" and I need to dig a little deeper. As they get older it's harder and harder to get them talking about their day. Girls are a little easier I find, but my boy tends to clam up and isn't interested in reflecting back to update a curious Mom. I'm very aware of the importance of staying connected to your kids and keeping the lines of communication open. It's been proven doing so has a positive effect on their self confidence and also lowers their risk of alcohol and drug use during adolescence (or before). And the earlier this practice is started the better.

So as best I can and without being too much of a nag ... I'll try to get the details of their day at school and work out any kinks that need ironing. But it's a delicate balance. One wrong move (or tone) the gab session is over and the window closes.

I came across this article recently and was inspired to learn more and share here. Parenting I find is a consistent game that is ALWAYS changing. I try to keep up with what's around the corner as best I can. This article suggests 4 questions to ask your kids daily that open the door to further conversation (or investigation). They also are open ended and with a non-threatening (or nosy) tone.

1. How's life?
Based on their answer, it'll open the door (or close it) in which case your next move will be obvious.

2. What's up with your friends?
It's more likely your kid will be willing to talk when the spotlight isn't on them.

3. Anything cool going on?
You never know what you'll get with this one!

4. Do you need help with anything?
I personally love this one. At the end of the day these are our babies trying to make it in a big world navigating through so many pitfalls and learning as they go. Sometimes just knowing that Mom (and/or Dad) has their back and can help them with anything is such a comfort. Hearing this question daily from a parent I would imagine is just  reinforcement that they're not alone.

I'm going to give these questions a try and if you do too, please leave your comments below if you'd like you share. I changed the settings of this blog to allow any and all comments regardless if you're a site member or not.

I personally have the tween years and middle school on the horizon and need all the help I can get!

Thanks again for stopping by and here's to another day closer to a life in balance....
xo
Sloane


No comments:

Post a Comment