Wednesday, April 15, 2015

2 Organizing Tips That Rocked My World

So let it be said  (in case it wasn't already crystal clear) I love to organize! I love to organize my own life and others. It's fun and rewarding for me. If this makes me a freak, then I will fly my freak flag high! I read a lot about the subject. Blogs, books, websites, magazines, you name it. From these sources I will occasionally pick up something new that I haven't already seen or done for myself or my clients. Particularly I love organizing solutions that are "outside the box". Using items traditionally intended for other purposes. So let me share with you 2 of these tips that not only fit this criteria, but also happen to be my 2 favorites (although I hate to play favorites with my tips, they're like children to me).


Ironically this first one is a solution I picked up just recently. There is always something new to learn or discover no matter how much of a "SME" (subject matter expert) we happen to be!

So, this was me:

Look at that sad ripped bag holding all my wrapping paper. Always stuffed in the back of my coat closet, getting crushed. When ever one of my kids had to attend a party (weekly it seems) I had to dig to the back of the closet, pull out this pitiful looking thing and dig for paper. Bows, ribbon and loose paper buried at the bottom. I've seen other solutions (wrapping paper bins, under the bed boxes) but none of them would work with the space I had allocated to these products. UNTIL ... I stumbled onto this little gem that sparked an "ah ha" moment for me (see I told you I'm a freak). The garment bag solution! I logged on to my favorite go-to website Amazon Prime and picked me up one of these bad boys (it took an incredible amount of patience to wait the 48 hours until its arrival):


It's sturdy, has a nice side zipper (easy access) and most importantly - it's clear! Which happens to be one of my top 5 organizing requirements for storage. It has to be clear! Out of sight, out of mind! So you could imagine my excitement when I had converted from my old way to this new solution. Drum roll please ..... 

Isn't she pretty? And as I mentioned before, my allocated space for these items is in my coat closet. Um, what could be a better solution than HANGING these items?!?! So needless to say, I'm excited for the next birthday party (which happens to be Friday of course). 

Second "favorite" solution is the magic of the over-the-door shoe organizer (clear of course). These things are amazing. I have several and use them in many ways (except for shoes funny enough). We keep our winter hats/scarves/gloves in it during the winter in our mud room, I've taken them on vacation with us and loaded it with toiletries, and we use it to hold a wide variety of household items that need a home. Inside that same hallway coat closet (where my gorgeous new wrapping paper solution is hung) one of these guys hangs too. 

This baby is loaded with flashlights, birthday and note cards, go-to tools, a variety of adhesives, miscellaneous power and charging cords, smart phone accessories ... you name it! If it's random and necessary it's here. Centrally located and easily accessible. 

So that's what I've got for you today. Maybe one (or both) will work for you (or someone you know). Have a great day!

Thanks again for stopping by, and here's to another day closer to a life in balance. 

xo

Sloane






No comments:

Post a Comment